Medical Misdiagnosis Compensation Claims
As patients, we rely on trained medical professionals to figure out what’s wrong with us and to provide the correct treatment. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case, and sometimes patients can suffer long term health consequences because of a medical misdiagnosis, or perhaps a delayed diagnosis.
What is a medical misdiagnosis?
A medical misdiagnosis is a mistake made by any medical professional – either employed through the NHS or privately – who is responsible for diagnosing a patient with a condition or ailment.
There are two types of misdiagnosis:
- Late diagnosis: This occurs when a condition is identified too late, causing a delay in potentially life-saving treatments
- Incorrect or missed diagnosis: This is when the patient is diagnosed with the incorrect condition, or no problem is diagnosed at all
Common types of misdiagnosis
- Failing to interpret an x-ray or scan properly
- Falling to conduct the right investigations
- Failing to conduct a proper or thorough examination
- Failing to refer a patient to a specialist in a timely manner
- Failing to listen to details from a patient
What conditions are commonly misdiagnosed?
A medical misdiagnosis can occur in many different conditions, from mild to severe. However, some of the most common conditions that are missed include:
Conditions that are commonly misdiagnosed are often those that have symptoms that can easily be mistaken for something else, or where symptoms are particularly difficult to detect.
Making a claim for medical misdiagnosis
As is the case with many claims for medical negligence, making a claim for misdiagnosis can be complicated due to the nature of the evidence required. In order to be successful, it needs to be demonstrated that medical negligence was the cause of your misdiagnosis, and that the result has been injury, pain and hardship on yourself. Evidence of medical records will need to be gathered by both sides, and independent experts may need to be consulted to provide an opinion on the case.
However this shouldn’t put you off making a medical misdiagnosis claim. If you feel that you have suffered at the hands of a medical professional and been a victim of misdiagnosis, then expert help from the solicitors at The Claims Partnership can help you find justice.